A teenage girl was murdered by her parents in front of her siblings for wearing a top that showed off her arms


Shafilea Ahmed Shafilea Ahmed - Tragic, a teenage girl was murdered by her parents in front of her siblings for wearing a top that showed off her arms. 

Before death, Shafilea Ahmed, 17, suffered years of abuse from her mum and dad before they decided to end her life for bringing dishonour to the family. 

The couple pinned their daughter down on the sofa and stuffed a carrier bag into her mouth until she turned blue and suffocated in September 2003.

Her father, Iftikhar Ahmed, then put her body in the back of his car and dumped it 70 miles away from their home in Warrington. 

Then, on the next day police were alerted that Shafilea wasn’t seen at school, and her parents stated she had run away. 

One of the teenager’s close family friends, Shanin Munir, has helped reveal the extent of the abuse she went through before her death. 

Shafilea was the oldest child of Farzana and Iftikhar Ahmed. As she got older, she adopted a more Western way of living, taking an interest in fashion and wearing make-up and false nails.

Her parents tried to curb her rebellious nature and one year arranged a holiday to Pakistan, where they intended to marry her off to a cousin. Shafilea refused to go and so her father drugged her with sleeping pills as a result. After awaking in Pakistan, the teenager was so terrified about what would happen she drank bleach in a suicide attempt, severely burning her throat and oesophagus. She was rushed to hospital and kept there for two months, while her father and siblings flew back home to the UK.

When she was well enough to return, he told medical professionals in Warrington that his daughter had mistaken the bleach for mouthwash.

After that, the abuse grew more intense and Shafilea’s parents planned an honour killing as a way to end the shame she had brought on the family. 

During a furious row over her short-sleeved top, they killed her in the living room and made her siblings watch. Shafilea’s body was found five months after her death in the River Kent near Sedgwick, Cumbria. The family put on a funeral and pretended to grieve, but her sister Alesha later went to the police and bravely told them what had happened.

She described seeing Shafilea’s eyes going wide and her legs kicking frantically before she urinated on the sofa. 

In September 2011, Iftikhar and Farzana were arrested and charged on suspicion of murder.  Iftikhar and Farzana were found guilty and were sentenced to 25 years in prison with no parole in 2012.







Can be read in English and 100 other International languages

Related Article